The club was formed in the post-war boom period where immigration to Australia was encouraged. This coincided with the cold-war tensions where there was massive investments in new military systems including British nuclear weapons and rocketry. To house the new migrants, Elizabeth opened in 1956 with many commercial companies setting up in the area, the largest being the General Motors Holden plant. Elizabeth was built on former farmland next to a wartime munitions area which by then was designated the Weapons Research Establishment(WRE) and the RAAF Edinburgh airbase was also constructed there around the same time. Many overseas military manufacturers of high tech components set up factories in the WRE area and many technicians, engineers and scientists came to Australia to work in these companies.